These slow cooked beef short ribs are tender and melt-in-the-mouth in its rich Asian style sauce.
2kg beef short ribs – on or off the bone
150ml hoisin sauce
60ml dark soy sauce (low in salt)
60ml mirin, sake or dry sherry
1 orange – parred rind
4 tbsp. honey
25g grated ginger
3 garlic cloves – crushed and chopped
1 red chilli – deseeded and sliced thinly
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 small bunch of coriander
- Combine hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, orange rind, honey, ginger, garlic cloves, red chilli and sesame oil and mix. Pour sauce over the ribs and turn to coat in the marinade. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove the marinated ribs from the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Heat the AGA cast iron buffet casserole pan in the top Rayburn oven on the floor.
- Once the pan is heated move to the boiling side of the Rayburn hotplate and brown the ribs in batches.
- Once browned, place all the ribs back into the casserole pan, pouring over any remaining marinade and cover with the lid. Place into the in the Rayburn lower oven set at ‘simmering’ for at least 8 hours.
- After 8 hours the ribs should be tender and flavoursome. Garnish with fresh chillies and chopped coriander.
Serve with a chilli potato mash and steamed fried green vegetables.