Creamy and delicious on its own, this dish can also be a delicious side.
800ml (28 fl oz) water
200g (7 oz) quick cook Polenta
½ tsp salt
2 red chillies, very finely chopped
12 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
50g (1¾ oz) butter
50g (1¾ oz) plain flour
600ml (1 pint) milk
1 tsp mustard
200g (7 oz) gorgonzola cheese, diced
Salt and black pepper
50g (1¾ oz) grated mozzarella cheese
1. Bring the water to the boil on the boiling plate, pour in the polenta and salt, stir until it thickens, about 3 minutes, and be careful to use a long handled wooden spoon or don an AGA gauntlet when stirring, as the polenta will spit.
2. Remove from the heat and add the pepper, chillies and sage. Pour into a Bake-O-Glide lined half-size baking tray. Smooth the top and put to cool for about half an hour.
3. When solid turn the polenta out onto a chopping board and remove the Bake-O-Glide. Use a cutter to cut the polenta into shapes, an oval or circle is best. Place the trimmings into the base of a buttered 25 x 15cm (10 x 6 inches) deep roasting dish and arrange the shapes over the top.
4. To make the sauce; place the butter, flour and milk into a saucepan and place on the simmering plate, whisk continuously until the sauce thickens. Add the mustard and cheese, stir to melt the cheese. Pour the cheese sauce over the polenta and sprinkle with the grated mozzarella.
5. Place the dish on the grid shelf set on the lowest set of runners down in the roasting oven for 20-25 minutes until heated through and browned on the top.
Conventional cooking: Cook the polenta on the hob and bake the finished dish at 190ºC, Gas Mark 5, fan oven 170ºC for 20-25 minutes.