These gorgeous fondant-style roast potatoes are ideal for a special family meal. Recipe courtesy of AGA Demonstrator Penny Zako.
1.5kg small peeled potatoes
3 garlic cloves – crushed
2 thyme sprigs
2 litres vegetable stock
3 tbsp. rapeseed oil
Serves 6 - 8
1. Place the potatoes, garlic and thyme in a Stainless Steel Casserole and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. You can do this a couple of hours in advance.
2. Drain the stock off and reserve to make a fabulous gravy.
3. Pour the oil into a preheated cast iron shallow casserole and heat in a hot oven, the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven for 10-12 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, garlic and thyme and stir in the butter. Return to the hot oven, on the grid shelf on the floor of the AGA roasting oven to cook for 45-50 minutes. During cooking turn the potatoes a couple of times in the garlicky, buttery oil.
5. Drain on kitchen paper, season with sea salt and fresh thyme leaves and serve.