These cookies are lovely and indulgent with chunks of white chocolate and a delicate lemon flavour. Make them even more special by adding macadamia or roasted unsalted peanuts, and decorate with drizzled white chocolate. Many thanks to AGA Demonstrator Naomi Hansell for this recipe.
150g soft butter
150g caster sugar
The grated zest of 1 lemon
1 large egg
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
150g white chocolate, chopped into chunks (keep a few back to sprinkle on at the end if you like)
75g macadamia nuts or roasted unsalted peanuts
75g white chocolate, melted, for decorating
You will need a large baking sheet, the AGA cold plain shelf is ideal.
1. Mix together the butter and sugar with a mixer or wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Add the egg and lemon zest and mix again. Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix until combined. Fold in the white chocolate chunks. If using the nuts, fold them in now too.
2. Place spoonfuls of the mixture on to the baking tray, about the size of a large walnut. If possible, chill for 30 mins before baking. These cookies can be frozen prior to baking and then cooked directly from frozen.
3. Bake in the baking oven, on the 4th set of runners, for 12 mins or in the AGA roasting oven for 10 - 12 mins, place the baking tray on the grid shelf on the floor of the oven with the cold plain shelf or full sized roasting tray on the 2nd set of runners above.
4. Allow to cool for a few moments on the baking tray then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
5. To decorate, melt the white chocolate either in a small bowl on the back of the AGA for 15 - 30 mins or so, or in the simmering oven for just 10 minutes. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and sprinkle on any reserved white chocolate chunks, then allow to cool to set.
Perfect to make as a gift and send by post - make sure the biscuits are completely cool before wrapping in greaseproof paper or food safe wrapping and then parcel up in a small box or tin.