These toasted pumpkin-shaped tortilla sandwiches make a fun and tasty Halloween snack. They are super quick to make using the AGA simmering plate. Fill with this cheesy roasted squash mixture or your own choice of fillings.
A packet of small/mini wraps - usually 8 wraps
A small/medium butternut squash
100g red Leicester or orange coloured cheddar cheese, grated
25g butter (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. First roast the squash - cut in half and place on a small roasting or baking tray. No need to remove the seeds, just roast in the AGA roasting oven on the 2nd or 3rd set of runners (from the top) for an hour or so.
2. Cool enough to handle then scoop out the seeds and discard.
3. Scoop the roasted flesh into a small bowl and mix with the cheese, butter if using and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Take two wraps together and cut two little pieces out on one side to form a ‘stem’. Take one of these two pieces and cut out shapes for eyes and a scary mouth.
5. To cook on the simmering plate, line with a piece of Bake-O-Glide (to protect the AGA top from any melting cheese that might escape!), then toast the face piece first a little. Then place the other piece on the simmering plate, spoon over 1/4 of the filling, top with the partly toasted face and cook with the lid down for 5 mins or so until the wrap is toasted and the cheesy filling is melting.
6. Repeat with the remaining wraps. On AGA models with bigger top plates, there will be space to cook several at the same time.
AGA Tip: Leftover roasted squash can just be blended with some sautéed onions and garlic and stock for a delicious soup.