Easy and fluffy these delicious American Pancakes are the perfect breakfast when cooking for a crowd.
135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter (allowed to cool slightly)
vegetable oil for cooking
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and stir in the sugar Place the milk and egg in a jug and lightly whisk to combine, then whisk in the cooled, melted butter.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk together to form a smooth batter. Leave the batter to stand for a few minutes.
- Ensure the simmering plate is clean and fully preheated, lightly oil with vegetable oil and wipe off any surplus with kitchen roll. Take care as the surface will be very hot.
- Ladle the mixture onto the hot surface – 3-4 at a time. When the pancake surface begins to bubble turn the pancake over and cook on the other side until browned. Repeat with the remaining batter. The pancakes can be kept warm in the warming oven.
- Alternatively, pancakes can be cooked in a heavy-based non-stick frying pan on the simmering plate or medium heat on the induction. Add a small knob of butter and allow to melt. Ladle the mixture into the pan two at a time. When the surface begins to bubble turn the pancake over and cook on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter. The pancakes can be kept warm in the warming oven.
- Serve with bacon and maple syrup, fresh berries and yogurt or your favourite preserves.