Not just for Halloween but a fantastic pie for the Autumn season whilst pumpkins are readily available.
500g Jus-Rol™ shortcrust pastry thawed
350g (12 oz) pumpkin flesh cut into pieces
85g (3 oz) golden caster sugar
55g (2 oz) maple syrup
284ml (10 floz) double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
3 free range large eggs
55g (2 oz) butter
115g (4 oz) walnuts, chopped
115g (4 oz) light brown Muscovado sugar
1. Place the pumpkin flesh into the AGA half size roasting tin. Cover with foil.
2. Slide the tin into the oven grid shelf placed on the third runners down in the roasting oven. Cook for 15-30 minutes until soft.
3. Meanwhile roll out the pastry and use to line the large AGA ceramic flan dish. Place in the refrigerator to rest.
4. When the pumpkin is cooked cool it a little. Then place with the other filling ingredients in a blender and whizz together until well mixed. (Alternatively you can mix them all together by hand with a wire whisk.)
5. Carefully pour the filling into the pastry case. Cook the pumpkin pie direct on the floor of the roasting oven with the cold plain shelf slid on the second runners down. Bake for about 40 minutes until set.
6. Whilst the pie is cooking melt the butter and stir in the sugar and chopped nuts. After 30 minutes baking time, remove the pie from the oven, scatter over the nut mixture, spreading lightly with a palette knife and return to the roasting oven for a final 10 minutes.
Cool before serving with maple syrup and double cream.
Conventional cooking: Cook the pastry case blind at 200°C (400°F), fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Then lower the heat to 180°C (350°F), fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4 and cook the filled flan for a further 40 minutes until set.