A straightforward recipe for super gravy made using your Rayburn cooker. Recipe courtesy of AGA Demonstrator Penny Zako.
1 tbsp. oil
Turkey giblets or 1 pack of chicken wings
3 celery sticks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 bay leaves
8 black peppercorns
3 tbsp. plain flour
150ml dry white wine
1.5 litres cold water
Turkey cooking juices, excess surface fat discarded
1. Heat the a roasting tin in the top oven, then add the butter with the oil and allow to melt.
2. Add the giblets or chicken wings along with all the vegetables to the roasting tin and sit on the floor of the top oven to cook until golden.
3. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and the water, return to the floor of the oven and cook until bubbling. Then slide onto the last set of runners for about 1 hour.
4. Strain the stock into a jug and allow to cool. At this stage the stock can be stored in the fridge for 2 days.
5. Add a little water to the turkey roasting tray and place inside the top oven to loosen any cooking residue. Pour into a saucepot, add the flour and wine then sit on the top plate and whisk continually to avoid lumps.
6. Next add enough stock to form a smooth sauce, bring to simmer. Strain if necessary and then leave to keep warm on the resting area.