This classic Spanish dish is a family favourite and it’s quick and easy to whip up.
3-4 tbsp olive oil
6 free range chicken thighs
2 free range chicken fillets, cut into large chunks
175g (6 oz) chorizo sausage, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, sliced
Salt and black pepper
Few strands of saffron
500g (1 lb 2 oz) paella rice
1 litre (1¾ pints) stock
12 mussels, cleaned
6-8 large raw prawns, shell-on
1-2 tbsp olive oil
200g (7 oz) peas
1. Heat the olive oil in the buffet pan and fry the chicken thighs until golden, add the chunks of chicken and the slices of chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden.
2. Remove from the pan and then add the onion and garlic, cook until softened then add the tomatoes and pepper slices, season. Cook for 2 minutes. Take 3 tablespoons of boiling water and add the saffron strands, soak for a few minutes.
3. Return the chicken to the pan then add the rice, stir well and heat until the rice is well coated. Add the stock and saffron water. Bring to the boil and stir to distribute all the ingredients. Boil for 2 minutes without stirring.
4. Transfer the uncovered pan to the Simmering Oven for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, place on the Simmering Plate while you stir the rice, then tuck the cleaned, closed mussels into the rice, and return to the Simmering Oven for 10-15 minutes (the mussels will open on cooking – discard any that do not).
5. Meanwhile cook the prawns in a little oil for 3-4 minutes until pink and boil the peas. Take the pan from the oven and stir in the peas, check seasoning and place the prawns on the top, cover the pan with a lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Serve from the pan with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
Cook on the hob.