Makes about 20 depending on how big you make them! Truly delicious - very chocolately, a little squidgy and a little crunchy at the same time.
100g soft butter
100g soft brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional - see notes)
1 tsp instant coffee granules or powder
150g plain flour (or strong flour)
30g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
150g - 200g chocolate roughly chopped (a mix of dark, milk and white as you prefer)
1. Cream together the soft butter and sugars until smooth and light. Add the egg, vanilla and coffee and combine. Stir in the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, then finally add the chopped chocolates and mix until well combined. The mixture can be chilled or frozen at this point.
2. Divide the mixture into small clumps of cookie dough, each about the size of a large walnut (weighing approx 35g if you want to be precise). Chill the clumps of dough for approx an hour before baking. Alternatively, the dough pieces can be frozen at this point until needed. They can then just be baked directly from frozen.
3. To bake, place the cookie dough clumps on a large unlined baking sheet, approx 5 cms apart, there’s no need to roll the clumps into smooth balls but you can if you like. This will give a slightly neater, rounder cookie.
4. Bake in the AGA baking oven, on the 3rd set of runners from the top, for 12 mins. If baking direct from frozen, bake in the same way for 15 mins. Alternatively, bake in the AGA roasting oven, on the grid shelf on the floor with the cold plain shelf inserted above for 12 mins.
5. Cool a little before serving and store in an airtight container for a week or two.