Taken from our Halloween themed Facebook Live with wonderful AGA Demonstrator Naomi Hansell. Catch up on our video here.
2 egg whites (weighing approximately 40g each)
160g caster sugar
A small packet of chocolate buttons
You will need a piping bag with a plain round nozzle, or a plastic bag.
- Whisk the egg whites until fluffy, either by hand using a balloon whisk or with an electric whisk or mixer. Continuing to whisk, add the caster sugar gradually, a teaspoon at a time. Once the sugar is all incorporated, whisk for a minute longer then the mixture should be stiff and light.
- Take a piping bag with a plain wide round nozzle, or just with a plastic bag, fill with the meringue mixture, if using a plastic bag, snip off the tip. Take the lined baking tray and pipe the meringue into spiral shapes, piling it up on itself (like a ‘Walnut Whip’).
- Bake in the AGA simmering oven for an hour, or in the AGA warming oven for 3 hours or even up to 3 days.
- Allow to cool then decorate. The cooked meringues can be stored in an airtight container for several weeks or even months.
- To decorate, melt the chocolate, this can be done in the packet on the back of the AGA enamelled top, or in a small bowl. If melted in the packet, just snip a tiny piece off the end and pipe the melted chocolate straight from the packet. Apply the melted chocolate carefully as two small dots to look like eyes.