Quick and easy no-knead bread recipe by Naomi Hansell.
- 500g bread (strong) white flour
- 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 350g warm water
Makes a medium sized loaf.
Use the AGA roasting oven to bake, or a conventional fan oven at 200C.
1. Weigh the flour into a large bowl and add the dried yeast and salt. Mix together briefly to distribute the ingredients evenly through the flour.
2. Add the water and mix into a dough. No need to do any kneading here.
3. Cover the leave at room temperature for 12 hours or overnight.
4. With floured or wet hands, scoop the risen dough out of the bowl and on to a floured surface or a round piece of bake o glide.
5. Roughly shape into a ball and carefully place in the heated pan, including the bake o glide if using.
6. Dust the top with flour and score with a sharp knife.
7. Put the lid on the pan and bake in the AGA roasting oven for 30 mins. Remove just the lid or remove the loaf completely from the baking dish and bake for a further 10 - 20 mins until the loaf sounds hollow and feels light.
Cool and slice as needed. Keeps fresh in an airtight bag or container for a few days. Delicious toasted.
Variation - Cheesy ‘No-Knead’ Bread
Weigh the ingredients as above and add 125g grated cheese and 1 - 2 tsp fresh or dried thyme or mixed herbs (optional).
Prove and bake in the same way. Delicious warm.