Cook the perfect Christmas Pudding in your Rayburn.
175g (6oz) seedless raisins
175 (6oz) Stoned prunes, Chopped
175g (6oz) Shredded Suet
175g (6oz) soft brown sugar
175g (6oz) self raising flour
115g (4oz) chopped mixed peel
Grated zest of 1 orange
55g (2 oz) glace cherries, quartered
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 large eggs, beaten
150ml (5fl oz) stout
2 tbsp brandy
Makes 2 x 750G (1 ½ lb) Puddings
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix in the beaten eggs. When well combined, add the stout and brandy and mix again thoroughly.
2. Pile into buttered basins and cover with a pleated disk of both baking parchment and foil and fix securely.
3. Place on a trivet or small enamel plate in a saucepan and pour boiling water to come halfway up the side of the basin. Cover and bring to the boil. Adjust the position on the hotplate to maintain a medium boil for 30 minutes, continue to steam for 1 ½ - 2 ½ hours.
Alternatively: Main Oven 120ºC (250 ºF), Gas Mark L-1
Cast Iron Lower Oven in slow cooking mode
4. Transfer to the floor of the Main Oven, where no topping up will be required. Alternatively, continue steaming on the hotplate, topping up with boiling water as necessary.
5. Allow to cool and store in a cool, dry and dark place for at least a month. To serve, steam for an hour using above methods.