This Orange Carrot Cake is light, moist, and fluffy with an extra boost of flavour and freshness from the orange and a hint of pistachios.
5 eggs – separated
1 orange – rind grated
275g caster sugar
480g grated carrot
240g ground almonds
75g self-raising flour
Cream cheese frosting:
1 small tub cream cheese
90g butter – softened
80g icing sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
Carefully cut the peel from the orange avoiding cutting off too much pith. Using a sharp knife, cut into thin matchsticks and place into a bowl of ice until needed. Then dry on kitchen paper before use.
100g pistachios blitzed in a blender
1. First, lightly grease a AGA cast aluminium frying pan.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, orange rind and sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in the carrot, ground almonds and flour.
3. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl to form stiff peaks. Fold and combine into the carrot mixture.
4. Pour the batter into the AGA cast aluminium frying pan and place in the centre of the Rayburn top oven set on ‘bake’ for approximately 60-70 minutes.
5. Once baked allow to cool before removing from the pan.
6. Combine cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and lemon juice and mix well to create the cream cheese frosting. Spread over the cooled carrot and orange bake. Finally, top the frosting with the orange peel and pistachio crumb.