Saag Aloo is a simple Indian curried potato and spinach dish which pairs perfectly with salmon. This easy one pan dish is easy to cook in the AGA.
With thanks to Naomi Hansell for this recipe.
- 1.5kg potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil plus 1 - 2 tbsp for brushing the salmon
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- A pinch or two of salt
- 250g - 300g fresh spinach or the same weight of frozen spinach, defrosted.
- 1 x 750g salmon fillet or 6 x 125g pieces, either skin on or off.
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- A lemon
1. Put the olive oil into a large bowl and add the turmeric, cumin, chilli flakes and a few pinches of salt. Mix together and add the potato chunks, mixing well again. Place on an AGA Large Hard Anodised Baking Tray lined with Bake-O-Glide®. Roast in the roasting oven on the 2nd set of runners for 30 mins.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the spinach by wilting in a AGA Stainless Steel Saucepan on the simmering plate for a few minutes with the lid on. Once the spinach has wilted, remove the lid and cook for a further minute or two, stirring to help the remaining water evaporate. If using defrosted frozen spinach, squeeze the spinach well to remove the water.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, stir the prepared spinach through the potatoes.
4. Spread the spice paste evenly over the flesh side of the salmon, brush the top gently with a little olive oil and place on top of the potatoes and spinach. For individual fillets, cook for 20 minutes in the roasting oven, on the 2nd set of runners from the top. If using one large piece or side of salmon, allow a further 5 - 10 mins cooking time for the salmon.
5. Once the salmon is cooked, lift off the potatoes and replace the salmon. Taste and season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
This dish needs very little accompaniment, but some plain yogurt mixed with grated cucumber, a little chopped mint and a pinch of salt is delicious.