This simply delicious vegetarian recipe can be frozen for your convenience and is made easy with the option to cook straight from frozen. Many thanks to AGA demonstrator Naomi Hansell for this fabulous recipe.
250g butternut squash - half a medium sized one. (Remove the seeds once roasted).
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
250g spinach, chopped
250g ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
The zest of 1 lemon
25g parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp pine nuts
150g filo pastry, usually 4 sheets
30g butter, melted
This tart can be prepared and baked in the AGA 24cm cast aluminium saute pan with a lid. Alternatively, use a medium sized pan with a lid and bake in a 23cm spring form tin or on the AGA cold plain shelf lined with a piece of bake o glide.
- First roast the butternut squash. Place on a baking tray and cook in the AGA roasting oven on the grid shelf on the floor for 45 mins - 1 hour until tender. Set aside to cool then cut into 1 cm cubes.
- Soften the onion with the olive oil in the sauté pan or a small pan either on the simmering or boiling plate until softened but not browned. This can also be done on the floor of the roasting oven or in the simmering oven for slower cooking. Add the spinach and garlic and put a lid on. Cook for a few minutes on the boiling plate until the spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook until there is no liquid left. Spoon on to a plate to cool. Rinse out the pan if you are using the sauté pan to bake.
- Make the filling by mixing the ricotta, salt, pepper, lemon zest, parmesan and most of the cubes of roasted butternut squash. Stir in the spinach mixture and taste. Add a little more salt if needed.
- Take the filo, unwrap and unfold. Take 4 full sized pieces and brush one side with the melted butter. Place the first sheet into the pan or on to the tray, then place the next on top, offset at 90 degrees. Add the third and fourth sheets in the same way.
- Place the filling into the centre in a circle, approximately 20cm across. Put the remaining cubes of butternut squash and pine nuts in the centre and fold in the edges of the pastry, brushing the edges with the last of the melted butter. Leave the centre section exposed so the squash if visible.
- Bake in the AGA roasting oven for 30 mins. Take a look at 20 mins or so and insert the cold plain shelf above to act as a heat shield while the filling continues to cook.
Serve warm or cold, or freeze until needed.
To freeze and defrost:
This dish can be frozen fully assembled but before baking; freeze uncovered and wrap once frozen. To cook from frozen, bake in the AGA roasting oven for approximately 50 mins. Check after 30 mins and insert the cold plain shelf to prevent the top from browning further while the filling cooks.
This dish can also be fully cooked then frozen. Freeze uncovered and wrap once frozen. Defrost in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for 6 hours. Warm in the warming oven for approximately an hour or in the simmering oven for 30 mins to serve warm.