These healthy bean burgers can be made using cans from the storecupboard. Many thanks to AGA Specialist Dawn Roads for this great recipe.
2.5cm fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
1 red chilli or ½ tsp dried chilli
1 bunch spring onions or a leek
3 cloves of garlic
1 x 410g can of chickpeas
1 x 410g pinto beans or red kidney beans
50g rolled oats (porridge oats)
1 carrot, grated (about 100g)
4 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley
1 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and ground black pepper
Rape seed oil
Bread rolls, toasted
Beetroot pickle or relish
1. Place the ginger, chilli, half the spring onions or leek, and garlic into a small food processor and blend until finely chopped. Finely slice the remaining half a bunch of spring onions.
2. Drain the chickpeas and beans and place into a large bowl, then coarsely mash them together to break up whilst leaving some texture. Add the finely chopped aromatics (from the food processor), sliced spring onions, rolled oats, grated carrot, chopped coriander, lemon zest and juice. Season with the salt and black pepper. Mix well together and mould into six burgers. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up if you have time.
3. Take the a griddle plate and dribble over 2 tablespoons of rape seed oil, rolling the large mushrooms in the oil. Place them at one end of the griddle plate.
4. Slide the griddle plate onto the floor of the roasting oven and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the plate and add the burgers, then return the griddle plate to the floor of the oven for 10 minutes before taking out the mushrooms. Turn the burgers and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until the burgers are golden and cooked through.
To serve; place half a roll on a warmed plate, top with a burger then a mushroom and finish with some rocket and the top of the bread roll. Accompany with beetroot relish.