To celebrate the Jewish Passover, Anne Shooter shares her traditional Passover baking skills – using just egg whites, ground almonds, cinnamon and sugar.
These little icing sugar-dusted confections are the perfect sweet and warm dessert for family entertaining, and will be so familiar to anyone observing the Jewish Passover. Many thanks to Anne for sharing the recipe.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the ground almonds, sugar and cinnamon and fold in until you have a paste-like mixture.
- With wet hands, roll heaped teaspoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the AGA baking oven, on the grid shelf on the floor for 10 - 15 mins.
- Slide a large baking tray or another cold plain shelf in above and continue to cook for a further 10 mins or so until the balls are starting to crack.
- Alternatively, move to the AGA simmering oven after 10 mins and continue to cook for a further 15 - 20 mins.
- To bake in a two-oven AGA, cook in the AGA roasting oven for 5 - 10 mins then move to the simmering oven for a further 15 - 20 mins.
- Put a few spoons of icing sugar in a shallow bowl and roll the balls around in it until well coated.
- Cool then repeat the icing sugar coating.
- Keep well in an airtight container for a week.