This Orange Carrot Cake is light, moist, and fluffy with an extra boost of flavour and freshness from the orange and a hint of pistachios.
5 eggs – separated
1 orange – rind grated
275g caster sugar
480g grated carrot
240g ground almonds
75g self-raising flour
Cream cheese frosting:
1 small tub cream cheese
90g butter – softened
80g icing sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
Carefully cut the peel from the orange avoiding cutting off too much pith. Using a sharp knife, cut into thin matchsticks and place into a bowl of ice until needed. Then dry on kitchen paper before use.
100g pistachios blitzed in a blender
- First, lightly grease a AGA cast aluminium frying pan.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, orange rind and sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in the carrot, ground almonds and flour.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl to form stiff peaks. Fold and combine into the carrot mixture.
- Pour the batter into the AGA cast aluminium frying pan and place in the centre of the Rayburn top oven set on ‘bake’ for approximately 60-70 minutes.
- Once baked allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and lemon juice and mix well to create the cream cheese frosting. Spread over the cooled carrot and orange bake.
- Finally, top the frosting with the orange peel and pistachio crumb.