This freezer friendly sweet treat is perfect for your party preparation and making entertaining easy and delicious. Many thanks to AGA demonstrator Naomi Hansell for this fabulous recipe.
300g approx pastry, puff or shortcrust, ready rolled is perfect for this.
200g soft butter
200g caster sugar
200g ground almonds (or 100g ground almonds and 100g self raising flour)
1/2 tsp almond essence
4 fresh apricots or a tin of apricot halves, drained
100g fresh or frozen blueberries
4 - 5 tbsps apricot jam
100g fresh mascarpone
A few fresh apricots, halved and roasted for 20 - 30 mins in the AGA roasting oven with a little sugar
A few fresh blueberries
Some chopped pistachio nuts or toasted flaked almonds
Icing sugar and a fine sieve
An AGA Portmerion baking tray (half sized) is perfect, or a 20cm round baking tin.
- Line the baking dish or tin with the pastry, prick with a fork and chill in the fridge or freezer while you make the filling.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and light. Add the eggs and whisk in one by one. Fold in the ground almonds (and flour if using), then finally add the almond essence.
- Take the chilled pastry out and spread 2 tbsp of apricot jam thinly over the pastry. Spoon the ground almond mixture evenly over the jam and then place 8 apricot halves evenly on the top. Add the blueberries in the gaps.
- Bake on the floor of the roasting oven, using the floor grid for fast heat up AGA’s, for 18 - 25 mins. Check after 15 minutes and turn round to ensure even baking. Cool
- At this point the tart can be frozen in the dish. It can be handy to slice it into portions so that it can be served to a smaller number guests without needing to defrost the whole dish.
- To serve, defrost either overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for 4 hours or so, or in the warming oven for an hour or two to serve warm.
- To make each portion look pretty, brush with the remaining apricot jam, warmed on the back of the AGA, with a spoonful of the mascarpone, a few roasted apricots, some chopped toasted nuts and finally a dusting of icing sugar.