This easy mixed bean cassoulet style one pot is wholesome and tasty based on the traditional French ‘cassoulet’, containing a selection of beans, green lentils and kale.
2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and finely diced
2 - 3 sticks of celery, finely sliced
A bulb of fennel (optional), trimmed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp tomato puree
1 x 400g tin Borlotti beans (approximately240g drained weight)
1 x 400g tin cannellini beans (approximately 240g drained weight)
1 x 400g tin green lentils (approximately 240g drained weight)
A bag of prepared kale, washed
A few short sprigs of rosemary
- First take an AGA cast-iron casserole or medium sized pan, add 2-3 tbsp olive oil followed by the sliced onion, whole garlic cloves, finely sliced celery, and fennel if using and fennel seeds. Cook on the simmering plate or in the roasting oven on the floor, until soft and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Move the pan to the boiling plate, pour over the red wine vinegar, stir, then add the stock, tomato puree and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and cook in the AGA simmering oven for 45 mins.
- Stir and add the beans and lentils and a sprig of rosemary. Cook for a further 20 mins before adding the kale. Stir and cook for 5 mins or so until the kale is wilted.
- To finish, remove the lid, season to taste and then add a few fresh rosemary sprigs
- Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread.
This dish is ideal to prepare in advance and reheat - traditionally it is heated and cooled three times to enrich the flavour. Suitable for freezing once completely cooked.