A quick and easy starter or party nibble, these Christmas Crostini's are ideal for festive gatherings.
4 part-baked white baguettes
6 oz (175g) lightly salted butter, softened
6½ oz (190g) jar of sun dried tomato paste
6½ oz (190g) jar of basil pesto
7 oz (200g) French Chèvre goats’ cheese
1 dtsp ground paprika
1. Place the baguettes directly on a grid shelf on the fourth set of runners in the roasting oven*. Bake for five minutes, then turn them and cook for 2-3 minutes longer until just cooked and only slightly coloured. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, covered with a clean tea towel.
2. Once cold, use a sharp serrated bread knife to cut the bread on the diagonal into ¼ inch (5mm) oval slices. Lightly butter the top and bottom of each and place on a sheet of Bake-O-Glide or baking parchment on an AGA cold plain shelf or large baking sheet. Spread each slice with about ½ tsp of paste or pesto, making even number of each. Slice the Chèvre cheese and place slithers on top of the slices. Finally, dust a little paprika over each piece of cheese. Repeat with a second baking sheet until you have used up all of the bread.
3. At this stage they can be open frozen and, when hard, stored in plastic bags or boxes until needed. They can be cooked from frozen, allowing two minutes’ longer.
4. To cook; Place a tray of the crostini onto the floor of the roasting oven**. Bake for five minutes, then turn the shelf around. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until they are lightly golden around the edges and sizzling slightly. Transfer to serving platters and serve while still warm.
* eR7: place on lowest set of runners in roasting oven on R8
AGA 60 and eR3 series place on lowest set of runners in top oven on roasting setting
eR3 150, 160 or 170 fan oven: place on any shelf in preheated oven on 200oC
** eR7: place on floor grid on floor in roasting oven on R8
AGA 60 and eR3 series place on floor grid on floor in top oven on roasting setting