This gorgeous vegetarian lasagne is ideal for festive suppers. Many thanks to AGA Demonstrator Penny Zako for this fabulous recipe.
700g mixed butternut squash and sweet potato – cut into cubes
400g Swiss chard – finely shredded
2 tsp. caraway seeds
100ml sherry – Fino is good
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 tbsp. chopped dill
500g ricotta cheese
150g Italian style Vegetarian hard cheese
300g lasagne sheets
For the sauce
80g plain flour
1 tsp. Mustard powder
600ml whole milk
300ml vegetable stock
For the topping
50g toasted hazelnuts
125g mozzarella – cut or torn
1. Lay the butternut squash and sweet potato onto the hard anodised baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then roast in the middle of the AGA roasting oven for 30 minutes until tender.
2. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in the AGA stainless steel sauce pot. Bring up to a simmer whisking all the time, on the AGA boiling or simmering plate, until a smooth white sauce is formed. Season and put aside.
3. Heat the AGA sauté pan on the simmering plate and add a tbsp of olive oil, add the chard and place a glass lid on top. Cook until soft and then add the caraway seeds.
4. Remove the lid and pour in the sherry, cook for a minute before adding the parsley, dill, roasted vegetables, ricotta and hard cheese. Stir to combine and season.
5. Remove from the heat and assemble the bake in the AGA cast iron buffet casserole, starting with a layer of vegetable and cheese mixture followed by a layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat to form 5 layers. Pour over the white sauce and sprinkle over the toasted hazelnuts and mozzarella.
6. Bake in the middle of the roasting oven or top of the baking oven for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the top is golden. To prepare ahead use the Portmeirion roasting dish and cook as before.