Billyvoddan storms to victory in thrilling final of the AGA Ladies’ Open Point-to-Point Championship at Cheltenham
Ladies Point-to-Point Final
Billyvoddan - ridden by Jane Williams - played a clever waiting game to take the grand final of the AGA Ladies' Open Point-to-Point Championship.
After more than two-dozen qualifiers the length of the UK, the end of season showdown at a sun-drenched Cheltenham didn't disappoint.
Top-class rider Williams scored her first victory at the course when the brilliant Billyvoddan - fittingly trained in Shropshire, home of the AGA, by Philip Rowley - was held patiently at the back of the 10-strong field before storming to the front after successfully clearing the last fence.
It was a superb technical ride by Williams. Jubilant at her win, she said: "We were going flat out and then he started overtaking horses. Coming up to the last I thought I was going to win. Then we got to the last and he just powered up the hill."
Runner-up was the ultra-game Upton Springs, a 25-1 outsider trained and riden by Sarah-Jane Davies. Third was Oca de Thaix, who travelled from Pembrokeshire and was ridden by Charlotte Evans.
Jane Williams added: "Winning at Cheltenham is amazing. I have always dreamed of having a winner at this course. Here and Aintree are the pinnacle.
"The AGA-sponsored series has been amazing. People have targeted this race because of the fantastic final. I have an AGA and it's brilliant."
- Billyvoddan, trained by Phillip Rowley, ridden by Jane Williams. 7/1
- Upton Springs, trained and ridden by Sarah-Jane Davies. 25/1
- Oca De Thaix, trained by W K Goldsworthy, ridden by Charlotte Evans. 7/2
- Amicelli, trained and ridden by J Coward. 9/1
- Poppy Day, trained and ridden by Joanna Mason. 16/1
- Lady Myfanwy, trained by Miles, ridden by Sally Randell. 12/1
- Double Mead, trained by K S-Maxwell, ridden by Alex Dunn. 5/2 Fav
PU: Lucky Nellerie and Eliza Doalott
F: Ask Again
Winning time: 6 min 20.9 sec.