For the sponge:
- 3 large eggs
- 6 fl oz (175ml) sunflower oil
- 2 fl oz (50ml) sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz (175g) light muscovado sugar
- 6oz (175g) soft bron sugar
- 9oz (250g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 12oz (350g) finely grated carrots
- 3oz (85g) desiccated coconut
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 3oz (85g) unsalted butter
- 3oz (85g) sifted icing sugar
- 7oz (200g) full-fat cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of orange oil or ½-¾tsp sieved orange juice
Line a half size AGA roasting tin, 10 inch (25cm) round cake tin with Bake-O-Glide or baking parchment, or bake in paper cases using two 12-hole muffin tins. Place the first four ingredients in a large bowl and then add the two sugars and beat well together. Sift the flour into the bowl and add the soda and spices. Now gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, finally adding the carrots and coconut. Mix well and then spoon into the tin and level with the back of a spoon.
2 oven AGA: Slide onto the lowest set of runners in the Roasting Oven, with a cold plain shelf on the second set of runners above. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until just coloured, then transfer to the top set of runners at the back of the Simmering Oven for 1½-2 hours, until cooked.
3 and 4 oven AGA: Slide onto the second set of runners in the Baking Oven. Bake for 1¼-1½ hours, until cooked.
Conventional Cookers Cook in the centre of a pre-heated oven set at 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, until cooked.
For the frosting, beat the softened butter with the icing sugar until smooth, then work in the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Finally stir in the orange oil or juice and chill slightly before using. Spread generously across the top of the cooled cake using a palatte knife. Once iced, store in the refrigerator.